Cross-docking is a practice in logistics of unloading materials from an incoming truck and loading these materials directly into outbound trucks, with little or no storage in between. This may be done to sort materials based on destination or material type. Most importantly it increases the efficiency of transport which translates into cost savings for your business. Some of the advantages include:
- Streamlines the supply chain, from point of origin to point of sale
- Reduces labor costs through less inventory handling
- Reduces inventory holding costs by reducing storage times
- Products reach the distributor, and consequently the customer, faster
- Reduces or eliminates warehousing costs
Whether crossdocking is right for your business depends on a number of factors, which we would be happy to sit down and discuss with you in order to save you money and increase your productivity.